Recently I came across a problem like
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage SharePoint 2010
When I create a web application in Sharepoint 2010.
I checked with all scenarios
- · Application pool in running fine
- · Restarted iis server
- · Database server is fine
- · Checked Service account account
Everything is fine but not able access sharepoint site. At last I realized that with the port number that I was using. Actualy I am using http://servername:110 port number. This one is reserved port no for pop3
Just make sure the port number which you are using before creating a web application.
here are the list of port number.
Common port numbers
The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) is responsible for the global coordination of the DNS Root, IP addressing, and other Internet protocol resources. This includes the registration of commonly used port numbers for well-known Internet services.
The port numbers are divided into three ranges: the well-known ports, the registered ports, and the dynamic or private ports. The well-known ports are those from 0 through 1023. Examples include:
- 20 & 21: File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
- 22: Secure Shell (SSH)
- 23: Telnet remote login service
- 25: Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)
- 53: Domain Name System (DNS) service
- 80: Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) used in the World Wide Web
- 110: Post Office Protocol (POP3)
- 119: Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)
- 143: Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP)
- 161: Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
- 443: HTTP Secure (HTTPS)
The registered ports are those from 1024 through 49151. IANA maintains the official list. The dynamic or private ports are those from 49152 through 65535. One common use is forephemeral ports.